The second experiment is an ant colony. I bought, rather on impulse, this Antworks set a few weeks ago. (Read the linked website for a full description & pictures.) We set out on an ant-collecting expedition today, and quickly discovered why Antworks offers packets of ants for sale. They're devilishly quick! It took a while to gather just 11, and that's nowhere near the 20-25 recommended. The ants we got also seem a bit on the bloodthirsty side. There are ant parts lying around the colony, and at least two of the ants seem to have been badly damaged. On the plus side, though, they seem avid diggers, so hopefully we'll see some beautiful tunnels - if they don't kill each other first. Another advantage is that they don't seem to have climbing feet, and can't climb up the walls of the colony, which makes it a lot easier to put new ants in, unlikely the ants we find in our kitchen. From my observations today, it looks like they have a cooperative system, with one ant digging down below and other ants passing the debris up. Very Great Escape-ish.